Headaches and Migraines in Fort Wayne
Effective Relief from Headaches
While occasional headaches can be a disruptive nuisance, recurring headaches can become a debilitating problem in your life, and it may be hard to identify their cause. If you do suffer from headaches that get in the way of your daily routine, True Wellness Chiropractic can offer treatment that address headaches at the source to help you live pain-free. Our Fort Wayne chiropractic practice has extensive experience in treating headaches, and we will work closely with you to offer treatments that fit your lifestyle.
Types of Headaches
There are many different types of recurring headaches, so your treatment may begin with an assessment of the frequency and associated symptoms of your pain. Here is a look at some of the types of headaches that our chiropractors can diagnose and treat.
- Tension headaches – Tension headaches are the most common type of headache, and they are caused by contractions of the muscles in the neck and scalp, which may be the result of stress, muscle tension in other areas of the body, or changes in brain chemicals. Pain caused by tension headaches feels like an aching or pressure that is often localized to the temples or back of the head and neck.
- Cluster headaches – During a cluster headache, pain is very sudden and severe, and often isolated to one side of the head. It may be accompanied by a watery eye and runny nose, also limited to one side of the face. These headaches appear in cycles and are more common in men than in women. Their cause is unknown, but it is likely that cluster headaches do have a genetic component. Therefore, you might be more likely to have cluster headaches if a parent or sibling also suffers from them.
- Migraines – Migraines can differ from patient to patient, but they will have at least one of four distinct symptoms: one-sided pain, throbbing pain, moderate to severe pain, or pain that is worsened by activity. Associated symptoms such as nausea or vomiting and sensitivity to light and sound will also tend to accompany migraines. These headaches are recurring and tend to be triggered by certain foods, stress, or alcohol.
The most common symptoms of migraine headaches include the following:
- Sensitivity to light
- Irritability/mood swings
Chiropractic Care and Headache Relief
Doctors often treat headaches by recommended over-the-counter medications or prescribing pain relievers and muscle relaxers. With prescription medications, there may be many adverse side effects that can further get in the way of your daily activities. Over-the-counter medications may also have risks, since overuse can lead to liver damage and, ironically, more frequent headaches. With chiropractic care, headache pain is not simply masked, but it is treated through spinal adjustments, massage, and other non-invasive, non-medication therapies.
If you want to take a safer, more effective approach to your headache or migraine relief, connect with True Wellness Chiropractic at (260) 918-9071.
- State of the Art Treatment Center
- Most Advanced Treatment Protocols Offered
- Convenient Location/Hours
- Advanced X-Ray Techniques
- Accepts Most Insurances